Jesus rescues both the rigid and the rebellious
Scripture: Luke 7:36-50
- What types of interactions make you feel insecure?
- How are Simon the Pharisee and the sinful woman different?
- These two seemingly opposite people may be more alike than it at first seems. Both the Pharisee and the woman are drawn to Jesus. What does this reveal about Jesus?
- Both the Pharisee and the woman have tried to make sense out of life. How do these two demonstrate different ways we try to cope with the messiness of life?
- Both take a risk. How did Simon risk in showing hospitality to Jesus? What can we learn from Simon?
- How did the woman risk? What can we learn from her?
- Describe how you see each of them dealing with shame.
- The dictionary defines shame as ‘a painful feeling of humiliation or distress caused by the consciousness of wrong or foolish behavior.’ How does shame deeply affect every person? What are ways we try to deal with our shame outside of the cross and resurrection of Jesus?
- Shame isolates and pushes us to hide. How can being known by God and others set us free from shame?
- What do we learn from the woman about true brokenness? See also Psalm 51:17 and 2 Corinthians 7:10.