Because Jesus is first, your life only makes sense when you put Jesus First
Scripture: Colossians 1:15-20
- This passage emphasizes that Jesus is supreme. When we pick off the toppings we don't like from a supreme pizza, it ceases to be a supreme pizza. Many of us try to pick and choose what we accept about Jesus and end up creating a god in our own image. What are traits of Jesus we often try to reject or ignore?
- Paul quotes an ancient Christian hymn that says Jesus is the image of the invisible God. In other words, if we want to know what God is like, we look at Jesus. What does Jesus reveal about God?
- A warped view of God results in a warped way of living. How so?
- When Jesus is not supreme in our lives, we allow sin to define us and we say, 'that's just the way I am.' How is life different when Jesus defines us? How does Jesus make us who we were intended to be?
- The first half of the hymn (Colossians 1:15-17) emphasizes Jesus as supreme over creation. He is not only the architect of creation but also the building plans. God's plan for you is to become like Jesus. How is God working to make you like Jesus today?
- If Jesus isn't supreme (first) in your life, the only thing holding you together is you. How well does this work?
- In Colossians 1:18-20 we see that Jesus is supreme over new creation. He is the firstborn from the dead and has inaugurated something brand new. What difference does this make?
- What's the difference between saying Jesus is first and actually living that way?
- The 'rich young ruler' walked away sad because he was afraid of what he would lose if Jesus was supreme in his life AND he had no idea what he would gain if Jesus was supreme in his life. How can you relate?
- How does Jesus' supremacy transform your worship, your witness, and your wealth? What does it look like to put Jesus first in each of these areas?
- Jesus is supreme (first) and Jesus is sufficient (enough). The appropriate response to him is surrender. Why is surrender hard for us and what is Jesus calling you to surrender to him today?