GODLY SUBMISSION TO HUMAN AUTHORITY FLOWS FROM GLAD SURRENDER TO GOD
Scripture: Romans 13
- What has God taught you in your life from good authority figures? What has he taught you through unhealthy authority figures?
- What do you feel when you hear the word authority? What about the word submission?
- Describe healthy, biblical submission to authority.
- How does humility before God translate to humility toward others? Why do we have a humility problem?
- According to Romans 13:1-7, what is God's purpose for human government?
- How is Daniel an example of a good citizen who honors God first?
- When and HOW is appropriate to resist human authority (See Acts 5:29)?
- No human authority can destroy your relationship with God but bitterness and rebellion will. How can you guard against bitterness and rebellion?
- Read Romans 13:8-10. What does this teach you about love? How is the Gospel the answer to our love problem?
- How does hope play into our relationship with authority? Read Romans 13:11.
- Jesus says give to Caesar what is Caesar's and give to God what is God's (Mark 12:17). What do we owe Caesar? What do we owe God?