An encounter with the impossible exposes the impotence of idolatry.
Scripture: Daniel 2
- Avengers Endgame grossed over $2 billion at the box office its first couple weeks. Why do we love stories of heroes overcoming impossible odds?
- How do you feel when YOU face impossible odds?
- In Daniel 2, Nebuchadnezzar places his wise men in an impossible situation. Nebuchadnezzar's response to the impossible is rage. The wise men's response is fear. What is Daniel's response?
- How does facing the impossible reveal who/what we truly trust?
- There comes a point when God IN HIS MERCY will place you in a situation where your idols can't save you. Why is this? How has this happened in your life?
- Read Daniel 2:17-19. Daniel seeks God, seeks community, and rests. How can you implement these 3 practices when you face difficulty? Which do you struggle most with?
- Daniel respectfully resists Babylon in 2:26-28. How specifically are you struggling to respectfully resist our Babylon?
- God reveals, through Daniel, the dream and the interpretation. The dream was of a statue representing successive human kingdoms crushed by the kingdom of God. How does this vision point to Jesus' kingship? How does this vision impact our politics?
- In Matthew 21:44, Jesus applies this stone image to himself. Jesus crushes evil by allowing evil to crush him on the cross. Jesus was crushed for you... how can this truth crush you and your own kingdom?
- Galatians 2:20 was written by someone who'd been crushed by Christ the stone. Read it.
- Daniel 2 tells the story of an evil king who demanded the impossible. But it points to the one true king who also demands the impossible AND gives us what we need to accomplish it. What are some of the impossible things Christ calls his people to and how does he help us accomplish them?